Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:03:11 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with libpng + Mozilla applications on FreeBSD 8.3

Hi All,

I recently purchased a laptop (Intel Pentium dual core) and installed
FreeBSD 8.3-i386 on it using the 'All' canned distribution. I then
downloaded the latest ports tarball and started building them.

Some of the ports required a newer version of the graphics/png port, so
I did a deinstall and reinstall in graphics/png. This removed the
previous binary libpng.so.6 and placed version libpng15.so.15 in its
stead. Things went wrong here - the GNOME desktop started crashing with
the panel not working and practically all desktop icons gone. So I
guessed  that the canned version of GNOME in the installation DVD had a
dependency on libpng.so.6.

I reinstalled FreeBSD 8.3, and copied /usr/local/lib/libpng.so.6 to
/usr/lib/libpng.so.6 before building the ports a second time. This time
things went a lot more smoothly. GNOME works. But Mozilla applications
like Firefox and Thunderbird present a peculiar problem - the buttons on
the Tool bar/Menu bar do not have any image on them. While this is not
exactly a catastrophe, it is rankling to say the least. Maybe some
gentleman has faced this problem and has sorted it out. If anyone can
provide a hint on how to fix the problem, I would be grateful indeed.

Thank you &
Regards,

Manish Jain
bourne.identity@hotmail.com