Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:33:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      stheg olloydson <stheg_olloydson@yahoo.com>
To:        kb4ih@earthlink.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation

it was said:

<snip>

>While loading the sysinstall it freezes up when it reaches
sio0:
>type 8250.

Yow!

>The book shows type 16550A
>
>The computer I am trying to install FreeBSD on is an AMD 700
Mhz
> maching with 512 K of memory.

<snip>

The 8250 UART has been obsolete for _years_ (pre-386 days). Try
disabling the serial ports in BIOS. You may want to do the same
to the parallel port, too. After you get set up, try enabling
them to see what happens.
Don't fool with 4.6; it's pretty old. (Not as old as an 8250
chip, but still....) After getting the 4.8 system running, you
should update to 4.11. Hang on to the book, though, because a
lot of the information will still apply. The up-to-date handbook
is available online at www.freebsd.org. Some ftp servers have it
in pdf format if you dislike reading online.
Out of curiosity, what motherboard make and model do you have?

HTH,

stheg