Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:44:04 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        peter@larkowski.net
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting a 2nd rev 12" powerbook (1Ghz)

Hi Peter,

> Ok, here's an odd one.  I tried boot -v and it worked (ie. got to the
> mountroot prompt), so tried it again, and it worked without -v.  I
> tried it several more times with and without -v and it's a crap shoot.
> It works sometimes, and not others.  When it does work, the only things
> that appear after the dvd drive probe and before the mountroot prompt are:

  Very puzzling.

> (probe0:sbp0:0:0:0): error 22
> (probe6:sbp0:0:6:0): Unretryable Error

  This is the firewire disk probe.

> Also, at this point, the light on the power cord changes from green
> (charged in OSX) to amber (charging).  I don't know if there is any
> significance there, but I thought I'd be thorough.  When it doesn't work,
> the light stays green, and I get none of the probe messages.

  That may be a side effect.

> Finally, init doesn't seem to fly.  I just get start_init:
> trying/sbin/init
>
> I think it is actually mounting nfs because I had some problems with that
> earlier (typo in /etc/exports) and that lands me at the debugger, whereas
> it's hanging now.  I hope some of this info helps.  Let me know if there
> is anything else useful I can do.

  One thing to try is to do a verbose tcpdump when it's attempting to
exec init: you can see the alternates tried if init can't be read.

  There may be an issue with the ethernet, since I've not tried the
GEM3 before. It would be interesting to see if packets were delivered.

later,

Peter.