Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:27:49 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MOSIX on FreeBSD

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 07:24:24AM -0500, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
>
> >> And what exactly does the "MOSIX" thing do?  Maybe vmware, bochs or
> >> another PC emulator can help you?
> >
> >www.mosix.org
> >
> >Sorry for the lack of terminology, but apparently is some sort of
> >clustering software for linux to setup clusters with a few linux
> >machines.
>
> It's an alternative to MPI or PVM which performs parallel execution
> across a cluster of linux machines.  It's advantage is that it can
> take applications like say, Apache, who aren't MPI capable, but are
> threaded, and distribute their threads over the cluster for parallel
> execution.  No need to rewrite code for MPI threads.  However, it's
> certainly not as efficient as MPI or PVM for real world applications.
> The Hebrew University of Jerusalem writes the software and before they
> wrote it for linux, they had a BSD/OS version.  They are not allowed
> to release the source to the BSD/OS version, presumably because BSDi
> had some sort of source restriction on them at the time.  If anything
> I would look into whether BSDi owns the source and get them to release
> it.  It would be a much easier FreeBSD port from there.

I thought that FreeBSD was associated with BSDi now.  I wonder if
something could be worked out because I do not think that BSDi is doing
anything with the MOSIX code.

In any event if anything starts to happen on this front I and my
employer would be willing to help in any way possible.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net