Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:58:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        parag@cgt.com (Parag Patel)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Telnet problem under 4.1-RC

Check your /etc/host.conf file to see if you're using the /etc/hosts
file before the nameserver ("hosts" ahead of "bind").  If so, check
for a valid entry in your hosts file.

When you run "nslookup", it queries the nameserver directly.  But
most applications call "gethostbyname(3)", which (depending on the
contents of /etc/host.conf and /etc/hosts) can return a different
result.

As I recall, Parag Patel wrote:
> All hostname lookups are failing from telnet, but only from telnet and
> only hostnames.  Here's the problem:
>
>     $ telnet localhost
>     localhost: No address associated with hostname
>     $ nslookup localhost
>     Server:  localhost.parag.codegen.com
>     Address:  127.0.0.1
>
>     Name:    localhost.parag.codegen.com
>     Address:  127.0.0.1
>
>     $ ping -c 1 localhost
>     PING localhost.parag.codegen.com (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
>     64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0.167 ms
>
>     --- localhost.parag.codegen.com ping statistics ---
>     1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
>     round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.167/0.167/0.167/0.000 ms
>
>     $ telnet 127.0.0.1
>     Trying 127.0.0.1...
>     Connected to localhost.parag.codegen.com.
>     Escape character is '^]'.
>     login: ^D
>     Connection closed by foreign host.
>     $
>
> ftp/ssh/etc all work fine with the same hostnames.  telnet works with an
> IP address but fails to lookup *any* hostname - local or otherwise - so
> it doesn't seem to be a telnetd problem.  ftp works fine to localhost.
>
> I just now updated my copy of the CVS tree and updated /usr/src but
> nothing in the usr.bin/telnet directory has been updated.  I can't spot
> anything obvious in the CVS logs either.
>
> Anyone have any ideas I can try out to figure out what's going on?
> (Odds are I've forgotten something.)  Thanks in advance.
>

> 	-- Parag Patel

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net