Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 09:41:41 -0500 (GMT-0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        mmead@goof.com (matthew c. mead)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Diskless booting - netboot.com problems?

> > > Try compiling for only the card that you want to use to boot with.
>
> > It used to work fine with SMC and NE200 support.  I haven't tried it with
> > 3C503 also compiled in, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  The probe
> > routine tries to find SMC cards, and if that fails looks for an NE2000 or
> > 3C503.
>
> 	Taking out support for all but one card works fine.  It appears,

I think the problem is too big size of resulting .com file (>16K). I tried
to compile support for all cards (and my support for 3C509)
simultaneosly. It finds 3C509, but then it works absolutely wrong:
it prints garbage instead of Ethernet address of card and
and then fails to boot, and even to execute any command from
keyboard.

> pentium machine with a PCI bus.  It says it can't find the adapter.  I'm going
> to swap the SMC card in the 486 with the 3COM card in the Pentium and see if it
> works.  On the 486, I can load up the kernel and everything, but it dies with a
> SIOCFADDR or something like that - with the error number 6.  It's a panic in
> nfs_mountroot or somesuch.  I'm going to try a SNAP kernel and see what
> happens.

This is because now 3C503 has another driver than before. Now 3C503
device is named ie0 instead of ed0. Correct this name in main.c to fix
this problem (bit in this case it will work with 3C503 ONLY).

	Serge Babkin