Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:01:23 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: removing bdes..

Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote this message on Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 20:50 +0300:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 09:43:01AM -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>
> > Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote this message on Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 18:18 +0300:

> > > Clear text also insecure. Do you remove all clear text?
> >
> > If I have to answer that question for you, I don't need to respond to
> > you...
> >
> > Once you have a valid argument for keeping it, I'll respond...
>
> Keeping support for DES encrypting/decrytpting create vulnerability?
> or support difficult? What problem resolv removing DES support (and
> break compatibility)?

Support difficulty is that we have another piece of software that
needs to be maintained...  Which is already demonstrated that it wasn't
maintained as it took 15 years before someone marked it as insecure...

As I said in my original email, if they need bdes, they can just
install the port...  so no compatibility is broken..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579