Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:08:56 -0600 (GMT-0600)
From:      Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez <victor@usac.edu.gt>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpd problem (exiting on signal 11)

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez wrote:
>
> > I am running FreeBSD 2.1.0 in a DEC Venturis 590 (pentium 90 MHz) with 8
> > MB RAM (I know... that's too small, but already tried increasing RAM to
> > 16MB without improvement). The problem is when I try to start a printer.
> > Immediatly, I get the following error:
> >
> > /kernel: pid xxx: lpd: uid 0: exited on signal 11
> >
> > and a core dump is saved to the spooler directory.
> >
> > (nothing comes out at the printer, by the way)
> >
> > Any hints?
>
> Did you check your /etc/printcap for correctness?

Well, I used the default printcap, which contains the following entry:

lp|local line printer:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:\
	 sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
	 lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

> Have you tried replacing the lpd binary?

Yes, I replaced it with the one that comes in the #2 CD, labeled "Live
File System" (in the Walnut Creek set), but nothing changed.

I suspected a problem with the enhanced parallel port setting, so I
changed it to normal mode, but nothing.

What else could I try?   Thanks in advance.

|      Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez          |
|  Unidad de Internet/Red Cientifico-Educativa  |
| Depto. de Procesamiento Electronico de Datos  |
| Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala -USAC- |
|e-mail: victor@usac.edu.gt,                    |
|Telefono oficina: (502)4769723 (fax/voz)       |
|                  (502)4767719 (voz)           |
|Telefono casa   : (502)4782916 (502)2891037    |