Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 15:38:15 +0100 (BST)
From:      Ian Pallfreeman <ip@albatross.mcc.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   anyone care to recommend a RAID 5 box?

My management have decided that they want a RAID 5 box with about 20Gb of
usable space on it, rather than buying a backup device.

I have about $11K to spend on the complete box (P-II 266 + 128Mb), so I'm
looking for a RAID 5 box which will work with 2.2 for less than $8K, I guess.
The 20Gb or so will be used for POP/IMAP mailboxes and home directories, so
performance isn't really that much of an issue. Personally I'd just buy a
bunch of narrow SCSIs and an Exabyte.

Any suggestions, please? The only solution I've found is something for about
$9K which is probably overkill, and doesn't leave me with much spare change
for more useful things. :-)

TIA,

Ian.
--
 Network Unit, SNOT Team, Manchester Computing, The University, Manchester, UK.
     mail: ip@mcc.ac.uk | phone: +44-161-275-6006 | fax: +44-161-275-6040