Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:27:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        drussell@saturn-tech.com (Doug Russell)
Cc:        burton@bsampley.vip.best.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fetchmail nolonger working

Burton Sampley recently asked:
% Thanks for the help.  Yes I do have senmail running.  I just solved this
% problem.  I looked in the /etc/sysconfig file and noticed that routed was
% NOT running.  I changed the line from router="NO" to router=routed and
% rebooted the machine.  Surpirse, now fetchmail works.

Doug responded:
> Hmm...  This shouldn't have fixed anything, as far as I can think of,
> anyway.  What version of FreeBSD are you running?  I can't remember the
> start of this thread anymore.  :)

Sounds like Burton is not adding a default address when the PPP link
comes up.  If you're using a single PPP link as your connection to
the net, you need to turn off routed and modify your PPP configuration
to add a default router through the PPP connection whenever it comes
up.  Search the mail archives for help with this; it was discussed to
death in Jan and Feb of this year.

> I use fetchmail here on hobbes (which runs 2.2-BETA) without any routing
> software loaded, and it works fine.  If I remember right you were running
> something fairly recent, but I can't remember what.
>
> Still doesn't explain why it didn't work without routed...

No route to the "real world."