Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 1997 13:19:32 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        jacques@marneweck.wcape.school.za
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Cisco to FreeBSD machine

On 02-Nov-97 Jacques Marneweck wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>A quick question.
>
>A client of mine has a cisco 1601 router on ip 196.21.169.131 and the
>FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE server on ip 196.21.169.130 and I was wondering
>if there is anyway to bi pass a HUB out and connect the router to the
>nick on the BSD box?
>
>On Subnet, so netmask 255.255.255.224

A simple 10BASET crossover cable would work perfectly.  You make crossover
cables by wiring AT&T-568-A on one end, and AT&T-568-B on the other end
(assuming you use the AT&T standards to begin with :-))... here's the
color codes.

AT&T-568-A
Pins   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
Colors WG  G   WO  Bl  WBl O   WBr Br

AT&T-568-B
Pins   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
Colors WO  O   WG  Bl  WBl G   WBr Br
(568-B is the wiring standard all of our buildings follow)

Color Legend
WO:     White-Orange
O:      Orange
WG:     White-Green
G:      Green
WBl:    White-Blue
Bl:     Blue
WBr:    White-Brown
Br:     Brown

While looking at the connector, with the cable coming down out of the
connector, and the gold pins facing you, pin 1 is on the left.

This all just came from memory, so hopefully they are correct.. Basically,
as long as you reverse pairs 1-2 and 3-6, observing polarity
(electrically, that is), you've got a crossover cable.

--- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@tri-lakes.net