Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:28:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Guy Harris <gharris@flashcom.net>
Subject:   Re: [NFS] Incompatible: FreeBSD 4.2 client, Linux 2.2.18 nfsv3 server, read-only export

    All this discussion over the right way to do ACCESS is moot.  The NFSv3
    protocol docs are absolutely clear on how ACCESS is supposed to work, and
    if Linux wants to be NFSv3 interoperable it has to follow the protocol.
    The FreeBSD client is following the protocol properly... it just happens
    to use more of the documented protocol then Solaris does, to good effect
    I might add.

    Over the last few years ocassional protocol bugs have cropped up in
    FreeBSD - and we've fixed them.  For example, we weren't handling
    O_EXCL file creation under NFSv3 properly (just recently fixed in the
    last two months), and this caused solaris clients in default configurations
    to error out on files created with O_EXCL from FreeBSD clients.  An
    example of a bug the other way around -- Solaris clients don't handle
    directory scan restarts properly.  It turned out that the FreeBSD server
    could relax a certain error return (two lines of code) to fix solaris
    clients, while still keeping within protocol parameters.  We did that
    in the name of interoperability because it was trivial and didn't
    impact performance.  Because of this work, FreeBSD's NFSv3 implementation
    is interoperable with just about everything else out there.  It's rep
    is well deserved.

    This particular problem, however, is entirely Linux's problem to fix.
    We are not going to rewrite our properly implemented access cache in
    order to workaround a linux NFSv3 server bug that can be fixed trivially
    in Linux.  You don't have to like the NFSv3 protocol spec -- heavens knows
    there are big pieces of it that I don't like.  But you do have to follow
    it if you want interoperability with non-Linux NFS servers.

						-Matt