Date:      Thu, 1 May 2003 11:06:28 +0100 (BST)
From:      Bob Parkinson <rwp@biome.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   ups/serial port problem in 5-release

Hi,

I've got a problem with my gateway ALR8400 server, and its serial ports
and UPS.

FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan 16 22:16:53 GMT 2003

Since I upgraded to 5.0 my UPS has lost the ability to communicate with
the server reliably (APC smartUPS 700). The UPS software starts up OK, but
then I get "Warning serial port communications with UPS lost." messages.

I've also got this in my dmesg:

sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled
sio1 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on acpi0
sio1: type 16550A

Trying to figure out whats going on I've tried a few things.

I've attached a modem to the serial ports, and I can communicate with them
(using Kermit), and I've also brought in a null modem cable and can get
communications across the serial cable (again using Kermit) to another
box.

However I've just tried to set up a getty on ttyd0 and ttyd1 and done
kill -HUP 1, but the getty is not appearing for ttyd0 or 1.

I'm wondering if the getty not appearing is related to my UPS problem, and
what I can do to debug this. Shame truss is broke.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob Parkinson
rwp@biome.ac.uk
Technical Manager: 		Biome  	       http://biome.ac.uk/

Greenfield Medical Library,
Queens Medical Centre,
Nottingham.			              0115 9249924 x 42059
                        We are stardust