Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 1995 23:41:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   IMPORTANT: 0928-SNAP, Enlessly increasing swap

The problems with swap that appears to continually grow and never shrink appear
to be back in 950928-SNAP :( :(.  Right now im using 54% of Swap (41 under an
hour ago), with X running (same X as I've been running for months and months).
There are no xterms or anything else.  Yesterday it got so bad that no matter
what commands I executed they where killed.  After I killed off all but one
xterm I was able to run commands.  I left the system alone, and by the next
morning I was again in the same out of memory situation, and had to reboot.
This really needs to be investigated before we go with 2.1.0!

My swap is only 10mb more than real ram (42mb vs 32mb), could this be causing
some problems with the vm/swap algorithms ?

-Crh

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu

                     http://rs560.msu.edu/~henrich/