Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 23:29:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Alain Kalker <alain@Wit401402.student.utwente.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current users <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   ifconfig(8) / route(8): File exists: Routing problem?

On Sun, 13 Aug 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

> Another problem...

<snip>
> ... every invocation of ifconfig from the sliplogin
> script causes
>
> 	ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
>
> Very useful :-/  The `File exists' looks like it's from the routing
> code.
<snip>

Sounds familliar to me...

I have been running FreeBSD-current (last 'make world' Aug 9) with few
problems when suddenly it started acting weird during startup:

-- part of startup messages --
ed1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 130.89.236.162 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 130.89.255.255
	ether b4:66:c8:96:98:81
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
add net default: gateway 130.89.220.1
add net 224.0.0.0: gateway Wit401402
add host Wit401402: gateway localhost: File exists
starting routing daemons: routed.
-- end --

I tried several times to delete then re-add the routes manually, which
_sometimes_ succeeded, but mostly led to the same error message...

When I was trying to delete and add the local route repeatedly the kernel
suddenly panicked and shot me into a reboot...

Anybody have any idea what's wrong here?

Alain.