Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 1996 08:50:43 -0500
From:      "Bill Campbell" <campbb@d-e.pvt.k12.nj.us>
To:        Frank <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Book recommendations

> From: Frank <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
> Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 19:17:57 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Book recommendations
>
> Can anyone recommend a good book to get a beginning UNIX programmer
> started?

I think that _The_Unix_Programming_Environment_ by Kernighan (the K
in awk) and Pike (another Unix guru/legend) is a great book for a
programmer to get used the the Unix environment in general.
(Prentice Hall, 1984)  It doesn't spend a lot of time on any
particular "official" programming language (although there are some C
examples), but it does cover just about everything else someone
programming in the Unix enviroment should know including shell
programming.  I also find it very readable (considering the topic.)

Chapters include: UNIX for Beginners, the File System, Using the
Shell, Filters (includes grep, sed, and awk), Shell Programming,
Programming with Standard I/O, UNIX System Calls, Program
Development, and Document Preparation (includes troff and man).

* Bill Campbell                   email: campbb@d-e.pvt.k12.nj.us
* Dwight-Englewood School         phone: 201-569-9500 ext 3206
* 315 E. Palisade Avenue
* Englewood, New Jersey  07631
* USA