Date:      Tue, 09 Dec 1997 22:46:26 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Darach Ennis <arsenic@iol.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 2.2.5 - Refuses to install Godbless

At 00:09 12/10/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I have been trying for the past 3 hours to get freebsd 2.2.5 to install.
>I think it won't recognize my cdrom (although the stupid program is begin
>run from that cd-rom... im confused).

Well the installation starts from the CDROM after using the dos utility.
After you get to the visual configuration editor you are in 100% unix land.

>Anyway, I dont have a Sony, Panasonic or Matsumi drive, I have a
>Toshiba Plug 'n' Play drive. How do i get freebsd to install?

Plug and play is not unix, Just like plug and play is not dos.

>It gives me a 'No CD-ROM devices found' error when i select cdrom as
>media to install from.

When you boot did you enter visual configuration mode to get rid of all of
the conflicts? Also, Is the jumper on your CDROM set correctly to master or
slave? Just because it works in windows does not mean it is correct.

Come to think of it... is this CDROM SCSI or IDE? I am guessing its IDE.

>If i have IRQ/DMA info for the cd-rom, how do i install it.
>(Without reusing matsumis or anothers device name, perhaps the utility
>should allow the addition of / search for other cd-rom devices).

If the CDROM is IDE, then irq/dma does not matter. More correctly, it does
not matter as long as your IDE controllers are set up correctly in the
visual configuration editor. The default setup is good.

>I hope im not being too much of a bastard about this,

::shrug::

Good luck,
Jason Wells