Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 15:45:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@toplink1.toplink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   'make world' questions

Hi,

I just built up a separete machine for playing with make world updates
etc and have a couple of questions.

I installed freebsd 2.1.5 from the cdrom, unpacked the 2.2 beta
sources to /usr/src and type 'make world' from /usr/src.

Everything went ok except that the /etc directory did not get updated.
I subsequeenty typed 'make distribute' in /usr/src/etc which updated
/etc. Is this the correct way to do it or did I miss something ?

To summarize what I did:

	cd /usr/src
	make world
	make install
	cd /usr/src/etc
	make distribute

	(edit updated files in /etc)
	(build new kernel,install,reboot)

I was under the impression that 'make world' would do everything including
replacing etc. Any comments ?

Greetings
Christian

--