Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 21:59:43 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: politeness

In message <4.3.2.7.2.20001003132247.043d11e0@localhost>, Brett Glass writes:

This is my last attempt:

You *still* make the mistake of thinking this is about what I think
about you: it isn't.

It is about how many people call for you to be banned/filtered.

>Other than one flamer, you are the only one who is asking.

I have seen 5 calls for it in a forum where you are not present
(nor welcome) in the last 10 minutes.

I have at least seen 3 calls in my mailbox.

Hint: You may not be Cc:'ed on these emails.

My role, as a core member, is to decide how many people have to
ask before it is enough to override your "civil rights".

In days long past we have thrown out core members because they were
tearing the project apart.  You're not even a committer, so it will
take a lot less in your case.

The only reason I replied in the first place was to indicate that
you are approaching the line (at least for my core vote).

Try this for a month, and feel the difference:

1. When you are about to press "send" on an email which will
   start a new thread.

	A) write down what time & date it is.
	B) save the email.
	C) For the next 48 hours, research the topic scientfically,
	   revise the email as needed.
	D) after 48 hours, if the topic is still relevant: send the email.

2. When you are about to reply to an email:

	A) write down what time & date it is.
	B) save the email.
	C) For the next 4 hours, research the topic scientfically,
	   revise the email as needed.
	D) after 4 hours, if your comment is still relevant: send the email.

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe