Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:30:33 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ARCH flag in new make.conf

Dear Sirs.

I'm really confused and surprised by the fact, that with the upcoming new
FreeBSD 4.3 in its make.conf we can choose architectural parameters for the
CPU architecture. And I will tell you why.

Due the last two weeks, that was in fact in the time of FreebSD 4.2, but
I think it doesn't matter, I compiled on three SMP system ( one 2x PII 350MHz,
one 2x PIII 600MHz KATMAI, one 2x PIII 866MHz Coppermine) the whole stuff
with the compiler option -march=i686 on both the kernel compilation option
field and the system code optimization field. The result was a completely
malfunctional NIS/YP system! I thank Mr. Jan Conrad from University of Bonn
who spent more than three hours with me on telephon to checkout what's going
wrong on FreeBSD because he used a functional NIS/YP installation - and at mine
the cheapest, simplest configuration would work. I do not know exactly which
compiler switches the new flag targets, either this for the source code or that
for the kernel and I do not know which compiler option, either for kernel or the system,
killed the NIS/YP functionality. Fact is - after removing on both optimization
fields NIS/YP works well!

I must confess that I never tried to compile kernel "pure', means without the
option "-march=i686" when I ran into massif NIS/YP problems, so it could be
simply an err of mine to compile both, system and kernel, with these options.
What is the new option in make.conf doing? Involves it both kernel and system
or only system code?

Thanks,
Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)