Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:53:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        John De Boskey <jwd@FreeBSD.ORG>, Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "disklabel -rw ar0 auto"  breaks HPT raid0+1

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :> :half cylinder is reserved by fdisk. so, it doesn't clobber anything.
> :> :is this explanation more clear ?
> :>
> :>     No, the EXAMPLES section.
> :
> :there is nothing in the "EXAMPLES" section which prevent to write
> :the first 16 sectors if using the drive in `dangerously-dedicated'
> :mode that is w/ no fdisk partition.
>
>     The examples section, if you have a reasonably recent (4.3 or
>     later I believe) system, shows you how to create a disklabel
-stable is enough :P
>     inside a slice (i.e. NOT dangerously dedicated), and shows you
>     how to run fdisk to initialize a disk and then how to run
>     disklabel to inintialize the slice.  The sequence is something
>     like:
>
> 	fdisk -BI da0
> 	disklabel -w -r -B da0s1 auto
> 	disklabel -e da0s1

so, we are "in accord" (don't know if this is really english speaking :)
but the originator of this thread (John) don't talk about fdisk. so,
I stated that he is trying to format his drives in `dangerously-dedicated'
mode which conflict w/ the HTP hardware which lso need the first blocks of
the drive.

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net