Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 2020 21:58:22 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS encryption and loader

--aH9EEbGhoMDnmIazM5SNMwGIkNLTcP1Ov
From: Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

--Jgu6imFkkefZzGhumHpk2HcuJVHEHzMCI

On 9/12/20 9:37 PM, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> 13.09.2020 5:46, Eric McCorkle wrote:
>=20
>> I'm thinking of migrating to ZFS encryption from GELI in the near futu=
re.

>> Does anyone know offhand what the state of support for ZFS encryption =
in
>> loader looks like, and if there's support for passing keys to the kern=
el
>> for boot-time loading?  (I can look at adding these if they're missing=
)
>=20
> Recently I've learned from one of ZoL maintainers that native
> ZFS encryption is not so comprehensive as GELI.
>=20
> I've been told that native ZFS encryption was initially designed for on=
e specific task:
> being able to receive encrypted customer data (backups), verify its int=
egrity without decryption,
> store and then receive incremental backups later. Therefore, not all da=
ta is hidden with encryption,
> for example, dataset names and some other metadata are not.
>=20
I've looked into this prior, and you're right.  The metadata that
remains unencrypted shouldn't be a security risk, unless you're leaking
info through your dataset names or something.  I don't know enough about
ZFS to know whether encryption for that stuff could be added later.

One big advantage you get is per-block single-use keys and tight
integration of AEAD.  I would regard this as more trustworthy than
repeatedly encrypting with the same key.  It also opens the door to some
interesting proactive security features.