Date:      Tue, 26 May 2009 13:44:39 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: re-probing DDC/EDID
References:  <4a164879.9A1SKOjgHUb7X9q6%perryh@pluto.rain.com> <1243015185.63754.104.camel@balrog.2hip.net> <4a1724c4.OuQCIyZ462E1cHYx%perryh@pluto.rain.com> <1243089327.63754.1345.camel@balrog.2hip.net> <4a1a288f.Z0ZX9ngtqKNukKbL%perryh@pluto.rain.com> <1243259500.1787.986.camel@balrog.2hip.net> <4a1b09b3.ewnqp2rizVfsYpk5%perryh@pluto.rain.com> <1243293431.1704.387.camel@balrog.2hip.net> <4a1baf8e.Lz5OEp/BR3fkQ%2BQO%perryh@pluto.rain.com>

--=-Ga4z2lWCpEtb6Q2CVMfv

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 01:59 -0700, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> > On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 14:12 -0700, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> > > Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org!rnoland@agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > Indeed, but only during startup AFAIK.  What I am looking for
> > > is a way to repeat the probing and calculation, _without_
> > > restarting X.  And yes, I recognize that -- since X is not
> > > being restarted -- such an operation will not affect what is
> > > being displayed:  it will only produce a report.
> > >=20
> > > The question is, is this possible?
> >
> > I am fairly certain that this happens when you do an "xrandr -q"
> > Have you actually tried any of the things that I've suggested?
>=20
> Yes.  You suggested:
>=20
> * Running "xrandr -q".  I previously provided the output from having
>   done so, noting that it appeared to be reporting the monitor info
>   pertaining to the older monitor -- thus presumably cached at
>   startup -- rather than anything which might have been produced
>   by rerunning the probe after I had switched to the new monitor.
>   There are at least three resolutions provided by the new monitor
>   which are not in the "xrandr -q" report, and two of them (720x400
>   and 640x350) are smaller than the old maximum of 1280x1024 and thus
>   presumably should not have been suppressed based on being too large
>   to be usable by the currently-running server.  Furthermore, the
>   342mm x 271mm screen dimensions reported by "xrandr -q" are those
>   of the old monitor; the new one is about 517mm x 324mm.

Watch xorg.log while running xrandr -q.  If you have a virtual set large
enough to display the new larger mode then it will show up...

robert.

> * Finding out which display driver is being used.  I replied that,
>   based on the xorg.conf produced by -configure, it appeared to be
>   ATI.  (If there is a better way to find out, I don't know about it.)
>=20
> * Removing the modelines from xorg.conf.  I have not tried that, but
>   I have observed that "xrandr -q" does not seem to cause xorg.conf
>   to be reread, unless it is somehow able to do it without updating
>   any of the inode's three timestamps.  (I'd expect it to update the
>   access time, or perhaps the inode-change time instead if it were
>   going to the trouble of explicitly setting the access time to its
>   prior value.)  Thus I don't suppose that any change to xorg.conf
>   would become effective until a restart of X.
>=20
> * Looking in the xorg log file, after running "xrandr -q", for a new
>   probe report.  "xrandr -q" does not seem to have appended anything
>   to the xorg log file, nor does its manpage indicate that it should.
--=20
Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD

--=-Ga4z2lWCpEtb6Q2CVMfv