Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:45:28 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How are [MAINTAINER] patches handled and why aren't PRs FIFO?
References:  <4DB7B237.7000603@marino.st>	<BANLkTinoGufNYZmkFgQmwGR4RjBXWXcDTA@mail.gmail.com>	<20110427075436.70ae18ac@seibercom.net>	<19896.4396.161941.282904@jerusalem.litteratus.org>	<20110427093258.3966cfd2@seibercom.net>	<20110427134836.GA30085@owl.midgard.homeip.net>	<20110427101257.414aaf8b@seibercom.net>	<4DB89EB5.2010603@FreeBSD.org>	<20110427192555.65add0de@seibercom.net>	<4DB97422.5090102@FreeBSD.org> <20110428155535.6cad9970@seibercom.net>

Am 28.04.2011 21:55, schrieb Jerry:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:05:22 +0200
> Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org> articulated:
>
>> Am 28.04.2011 01:25, schrieb Jerry:
>>> On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 00:54:45 +0200
>>> Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org> articulated:

>>> Before I could reasonable be expected to set aside time, I would
>>> need a detailed job description, etcetera. Perhaps you can supply
>>> me with one?
>>
>> See, and that's what committers might think, too: 'before I do lots of
>> paperwork, I get something else done.'  Be that some PR filed by
>> someone else than you, or reading a book rather than doing ports
>> work. :-) Counting recreation into "something else" because it's also
>> useful to make any headway sustainably.
>
> No disrespect meant; however, I just showed your response to two other
> individuals who both concurred with me that your reply is nonsensical.
> Would you please rewrite it in basic English using proper sentence
> structure. Perhaps we should start at the beginning. Do you know what a
> "Job Description" <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_description>;
> actually is?

Neither did I mean disrespect.  What I'm saying is:

You expect a job description before committing more of your time and
working power to volunteer work on FreeBSD ports.

However, for a FreeBSD committer, I can fancy not all of them are
interested in something that gets too formal -- which would be a
consequence of PR FIFO assignments or similar.  Their idea is to care
about some set of ports they are interested in, have a need in, and also
have some expertise on.  A clear job description with strict "fail to
respond on stuff you hardly know and have no interest in X times in Y
weeks and get all other work privileges removed" is what I alluded to
when writing "paperwork".

Personally, I would rather want to contribute to something where I can
just work on some of the ports, rather than having someone else assign
me PRs.

I am fully aware that we cannot *guarantee* any service level this way.
 And I've myself been in situations when I had to accept that committers
(or packagers for other projects) priorize (prioritize?, anyways, rank
in their ordering of the tasks) my PR different than I'd hoped for.  I
may have found that unfair, but talking about starting at the beginning,
not everybody's idea of "fair" will be the same. :-)

Now I fail to see what incentive you'll provide to committers so that
they actually adhere to an external PR assignment.  While I'm only
speaking on my behalf through the whole discussion, I read between other
people's lines that I'm not alone with this opinion.

I hope that is clearer now.