Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:24:26 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3-STABLE: handle_workitem_freefile panic

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

PJD> You cannot dump to GEOM providers, especially from rank > 1 geoms.
PJD> It is better to create more mirrors for every partition you want to mirror
PJD> (or slice) instead of whole disk.
PJD> One of the benefits is that gmirror marks mirror as clean if there were no
PJD> WRITE requests in few seconds, so even after power failure resynchonization
PJD> is not needed. When you've many smaller mirrors, after unclean shutdown you
PJD> probably don't need rebuild all mirrors.
PJD> The argument against could be that when you synchronize many mirrors on
PJD> the same disks in parallel, your disks are less happy (in one big mirror
PJD> scenario, disk's heads don't have to jump from one place to another so
PJD> often).

Well, hope I see both sides of the picture.

However: how can the be achieved the following goal: have mirrored swap (to
keep redundancy and HA) and a place to dump panic images to, modulo having
scratch disk and/or scratch unused partition?

Sincerely,
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck@rinet.ru ***