Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 10:32:13 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Darian Lanx <content@openprojects.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible Install bug for the following hardware in FreeBSD Stable (4.3)

On Wednesday, 30 May 2001 at 15:22:37 +0200, Darian Lanx wrote:

> Hello list.
> After debugging this with a few friends who are by far more experience din
> freebsd than I am, I have been asked to report the following strange
> behaviour to this list
>
> He asked me to be specific, so I am going to provide a much information as I
> can.
> The hardware used is as follows:
> ASUS CUSL Motherboard
> 2 Hard drives
> On the primary Master a Maxtor 53073U6 30736 MB
> ioctl (I am in linux) reports the following
> geometry for it:
>  geometry     = 3736/255/63, sectors = 60030432, start = 0
>
> The second hard drive on the secondary Master channel is a IBM DTLA-307030
> also 30736 MB. ioctl reports the following geometry for this drive:
>  geometry     = 3737/255/63, sectors = 60036480, start = 0
>
> I have downloaded the 4.3 boot floppies from ftp.at.freebsd.org and then
> booted my system.
> After entering the installer  friend told me to press scroll lock and scroll
> up to see the actual output of the Kernel.
>
> The output for the drives reads as follows:
> ad0 2014 MB <Maxtor 53073U6> [4092/16/63] at at-0-master UDMA66
> ad2 29314 MB <IBM DTLA-307030> [5956/16/63 at at-1-master UDMA100

at-0 and at-1?

> As you can see the first drive is not recognized at all,

I can see that the first drive is recognized.  What makes you think
it is not?

> the second drive is almost missing a gigabyte (yes I know the drive
> looses space due to formatting but still some space is missing)

It looks as if there's a bogon in the CHS reporting code: 5956/16/63
corresponds to 6003648 sectors, one-tenth of the correct value.
60036480 sectors of 512 bytes correspond to 29314.6 MB, the value
reported by the driver.  You're probably confusing MB with millions of
bytes, which is what the drive manufacturers call MB.

> The first drive is recognized correctly by the bios it operates in UDMA mode
> 4 (66)
> The second drive is also recognized correctly by the bios it operates in UDMA
> mode 5 (100).
>
> The BIOS for this motherboard is up to date, I checked with the vendor. I
> have ran several test on the drives and their logic, both drives are 100%
> operational.
> For both drives SMART monitoring is enabled.
>
> Thank you very much, since I am not subscribed to this list a CC to my
> private mail would be very nice, yet I will make sure to check via the web.
> Thank you and I hope this helps, FreeBSD looks interesting to me and I really
> would like using it along with my linux setup.

OK.  So do you have a problem?  I can't see any here.

Greg