Date:      Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:51:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        java <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: settings

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Chuck Robey wrote:

> Now that I finally have jdk1.5.0 built and installed, I have a single
> demo application, and even that one application only manages to give me:
>
> Error: could not find libjava.so
> Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment.
>
> This is from the Argo uml application, and that's pretty vanilla, I
> think, so I have the jdk1.5.0 installed badly.  Can someone either give
> me another dmo appl, or even better, tell me what I have wrong with my
> installation ...
>
> One hint, the directory /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/amd64 is full of
> libs like libjava.so (yes, the same one as the error message) but none
> of them register in ldconfig -r, although they are on my LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> list.

I don't think they are suppose to.  There's probably some
magic that pulls them in.  Your binaries might think they
are i386, so I'd try 'ln -s amd64 i386' in
/usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib and see what happens.

You can try also try fiddling with LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS
and friends (man rtld) to see if you can get it to spit
out from where java/jre are trying to load these libraries.
If you can figure that out, you can hack around it by
copying/creating symlinks.  If you get that working, you
might try rebuilding again using jdk15 and seeing if that
fixes it.

--
DE