Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 1995 17:14:54 -0700
From:      jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org

From: R.L.Hesketh@ukc.ac.uk (Richard Hesketh)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Unable to install from CD
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 95 18:00:29 BST
Sender: R.L.Hesketh@ukc.ac.uk

In article <3tbs2d$4ro@sol.ctr.columbia.edu>,
Bill Paul <wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu> wrote:
>Bzzzzzt!! Sorry, this should be documented somewhere; ATAPI
>CD-ROM drives are not supported in 2.0.5. There's a chance they
>might be in 2.1. The only Mitsumi drives that are currently
>supported are those that use the proprietary Mitsumi interface,
>which is not the same as ATAPI.

>Sorry, but dems da breaks. Hopefully the support for these
>drives won't be long in coming; these drives are becoming
>annoyingly popular.

So can we help the developers to produce a working ATAPI driver
as soon as possible?  I am willing to hack code and beta test,
the same goes for changes to the floppy tape driver to support
the Jumbo 350 and variable length tapes (I had a quick hack
but I don't have the interface spec).  Plus I am also waiting
for XFree86 3.1.2 to be released as I have a S3 968 chipset based
graphics card! (or should I use Linux which has a binary of the
new server already available 8-).

Once I get all these small hardware support problems out of the
way I can get back to writing free X applications on my new Pentium
box (UNIX at home at last!).

I know a lot of this is "RSN" but FreeBSD is so good that I'm
getting impatient for the rest of it!! 8-)

Richard