Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:01:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sym driver 0.3.0

Gerard Roudier writes:

>I suggest you to configure the same number of tags for the sym and the=
 ncr
>using camcontrol after boot, then to redo your testings and post resul=
ts.=20
>You can be sure I will comment them.

G=E9rard, that's it.  When I boot, the tags on the Syquest are set to=20=

1.  When I first run the dump, the tags are automatically set up to
64 and this gives poor performance.  If I manually reset them to 8,=20
then the dump runs much faster.  It's now 265 seconds at 1651
KBytes/sec and this is now faster than the ncr throughput.

With the ncr driver the tags are 32 at boot and get automatically
reset to 8 when the dump runs. =20

Is it cam or the ncr driver which reduces the tags to the correct value=
?
It would definitely be useful if the sym driver could dynamically
reduce the tags for devices that can't handle 64 openings.

The only other parameters that are different are the Read/Write Retry
Counts.  They start at 34/28 on the ncr and are increased to 75 when
the dump runs.  The sym driver has them set to 75 at boot, so these
end up being the same.

Thanks for the help.
--=20
Kevin Street