Date:      9 Feb 1997 10:13:30 -0800
From:      jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 22GAMMA-020697--Lib problems galore (fwd)

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.970209032429.29150A-100000@super-g.inch.com>,
spork  <spork@super-g.com> wrote:

> This is a tough one...  I just upgraded from 2.1.6 to today's 2.2GAMMA
> release, and it went really smooth, except for some odd problem with the
> libraries.
>
> Anything that needs a lib outside of /usr/lib fails, even though ldconfig
> -r shows all of the others (/usr/X11R6, /usr/local/lib, etc...).  In rc, I
> see ldconfig run with all the extra libs, but for some reason none of the
> programs seem to know about it.

I'm reasonably sure that nothing like this is broken in 2.2's
dynamic linking or ldconfig.

Check the permissions on "/var/run/ld.so.hints" -- it should be
world-readable.  If it weren't, that would explain your symptoms.

If that's not the problem, try running a program under ktrace.  It
will show the whole dynamic linking process taking place.  Search
through your kdump output to "ld.so.hints" and take it from there.
Hopefully you'll get a clue about what's going on.

If you still don't have any luck, please let me know.  We can make
arrangements for me to get your ktrace output, and I'll take a look at
it.

John P.