Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:10:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Heffner <aheffner@lakefield.net>
To:        Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>
Cc:        gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of file descriptors

On 19-Mar-99 Keith Stevenson wrote:
|  On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 10:13:15AM -0600, Glenn Johnson wrote:
| > I just cvsupped the stable source yesterday, 3-18-1999 at about 4:00 p.m.
| > CST. After building the world and a kernel I get the following upon reboot
| > (I am copying this from the screen of the machine that won't boot):
| >
| > ...snip some boot info...
| >
| > Waiting 2 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
| > SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
| > changing root device to da0s1a
| > da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun0
| > da0: <QUANTUM FIREBALL SE4.3S PJ09> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 Device
| > da0: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MKz, offset 15). Tagged Queueing Enabled
| > da0: 4110MB (8418816 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 524C)
| > .: Out of file descriptors
| >
| > I then get put into single user mode.
|
|  You need to sync up the system configuration files in /etc.  Specifically,
|  /etc/rc.conf has changed a LOT since 2.2.X.  In 3.1, /etc/defaults/rc.conf
|  is
|  the master copy of the rc.conf file.  /etc/rc.conf only contains your
|  machine
|  specific overrides from the defaults.  Having a complete rc.conf file in
|  /etc
|  kills the boot.

you just can't have the following lines at the end of /etc/rc.conf:

for i in ${rc_conf_files}; do
        if [ -f $i ]; then
                . $i
        fi
done

this causes a loop of reloading the same rc.conf file, which causes your
machine to soon run out of file descriptors once it's loaded several hundred
copies of itself. so if you copy your /etc/defaults/rc.conf file to
/etc/rc.conf, make sure you remove those lines.

Mike Heffner <aheffner@lakefield.net>
Manitowoc, WI  54220
ICQ# 882073
Date: 20-Mar-99   Time: 14:07:40