Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:16:15 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        JacobRhoden <jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recover overwritten file

JacobRhoden wrote:

> Is there a particular reason why there are no facilities to 'un' unlink a file
> in freebsd?  (apart from the obvious reaon of - people shouldnt delete files
> that they want to keep)...
>
> is there some philisopical reason that it shouldnt be at least an option? or
> is it just due to no one bothering? perhaps it could be disabled by default,
> but enabled on a per file system basis via fstab? (ie the /home partion).
>
> Yes I know people should make backups, but there are always going to be idiot
> out there and it may save some admin's some time?

I think if it mattered that much, the admin would write wrappers for the
basic tools (like cp, rm, mv, etc), but I see your point.  Granted that
writing wrappers doesn't completely solve the problem, it would reduce it.

Maybe someone who writes filesystem code for FreeBSD (UFS,UFS2,FFS
people?) would know if there is a technical reason for this..

Eric