Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:17:32 +1100
From:      Petro Rossini <petro.rossini@gmail.com>
To:        Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD9 and the sheer number of problem reports

Hi Damien,

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 5:25 AM, Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd> wrote:
> I'm writing this in light of the *many* problem reports I see on the
> lists with 9.0-RELEASE.
>
> I'm getting extremely worried here.
> ..
> See, we use FreeBSD at work for our firewall boxes, running:
> ..
> These boxes serve as frontend firewalls for all our projects/products,
> including a few high traffic ones.

Hi Damien,

I guess you wouldn't roll out a new release on all FreeBSD servers in one go.

For most environments there is room to staging it, from test and
developer boxes upwards to production.

At the moment I am running FreeBSD 9 on some developer boxes, Nagios
monitoring and others.

It works without problems even if I am using VIMAGE which is still an
experimental feature.

Sooner or later I will install it on other more relevant production machines.

Don't worry, it isn't that bad;-)

If I can have one wish from the engineering team: please keep the
schedule up to date.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/schedule.html isn't showing the
release yet, http://wiki.freebsd.org/Releng/9.0TODO was also quite
behind.