Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 2021 16:54:17 -0300
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Lucas_Nali_de_Magalh=C3=A3es?= <rollingbits@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Specific svn/git package update use case

> On Apr 8, 2021, at 11:48 PM, Simon Wright <simon.wright@gmx.net> wrote:
> (=E2=80=A6)
> My reading seems to say that this is *only* this one commit which is not m=
> need. Can anyone confirm this please?

Unlike subversion that has a central repository, git is a distributed VCS wh=
ich
means that first one has to close, that is obtain a copy of the entire repos=
itory.
Then one just checkout the version one wants from this copy of repository.
This comes with the possibility of keep track of local modifications inside t=
he
local copy of the repository.

> (=E2=80=A6)
> I don't want to create a new branch but "fix" or merge the checkout into
> my local branch? Or can I just leave it as is?

I think the message only warns about the actual repository state and gives
instructions of how to archive the possible outcomes. That is, modify, creat=
a new branch, commit the changes to it.

--=20
rollingbits =E2=80=94 =F0=9F=93=A7 rollingbits@icloud.com =F0=9F=93=A7 rolli=
ngbits@gmail.com =F0=9F=93=A7 rollingbits@yahoo.com =F0=9F=93=A7 rollingbits=