Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:32:58 +0300
From:      "Odhiambo Washington" <odhiambo@gmail.com>
To:        "Andrew Gould" <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PostgreSQL setup

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 9:06 AM, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > I have installed PostgreSQL via the ports on a new 7.1 machine. I am
> trying
> > to set it up.
> >
> > I found:
> >
> > http://www.freebsddiary.org/postgresql.php
> >
> > Whic says to run:
> >
> >  su -l pgsql -c initdb
> >
> > But that gives me the following error message:
> >
> > initdb: no data directory specified
> > You must identify the directory where the data for this database system
> > will reside.  Do this with either the invocation option -D or the
> > environment variable PGDATA.

Go into the port directory for postgresql71 and so "make deinstall". After
that, do

script -a ~/PGSQL-INSTALL.txt make install clean

Once that is done, go ito the ~/PGSQL-INSTALL.txt and read the lines towards
the bottom. Those are sometimes calles Post-install message. They tell you
exactly what to do on FreeBSD.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,