Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2014 23:07:34 +0000
From:      "Peel, Casey" <casey.peel@isilon.com>
To:        "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Makefiles for skip-level directories?

> In a thread in January, we agreed not to put any tests in sys/.
> Instead, we'll put them in tests/sys.  Take a look at
> tests/sys/netinet; you can probably copy its structure for your tests.

Ah, that helped, thanks. I was able to get them working in test/sys/.

> The magic to install intermediate Kyuafiles lives in the 'tests'
> subdirectory corresponding to where they are installed!  See
> src/bin/tests/Makefile, for example.

Thanks, but that's about as clear as mud. Is the "magic" the KYUAFILE=3Dyes=
 line? When is this required and when isn't it? Where is the documentation =
on its usage?

Is there a document that gives examples on how to correctly set up Makefile=
s for various directory layouts? I just spent several hours to get tests pl=
aced into src/sbin/geom/class/part/tests pulled into the build and have fai=
led miserably. There is a decent amount of documentation on how to write AT=
F tests themselves, but I've found no resource on how to correctly add/upda=
te Makefiles to make them work. I don't think this is rocket science but it=
 sure feels like it at this point.

-- Casey