Date:      Sun, 16 May 2010 16:45:04 -0400
From:      Todd Wasson <tsw5@duke.edu>
To:        Wes Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs drive replacement issues

>>> Strange, you should be able to cancel the replacement with detach. =
There
>>> is some kind of DTL issue preventing it. I don't know what it is
>>> precisely, but there are known cases where legitimate detach =
operations
>>> are prevented.
>>>=20
>>> Try reconnecting the disk you partitioned, leaving the original ad6 =
still
>>> attached, and you should be able to detach the new one.
>>=20
>> The problem with that is that I can't have any more than four SATA
>> devices in my machine.  I'd have to detach one of the other (good)
>> devices in order to do that.  Is that feasible / possible?  I would
>> think at that point I would have only two of the four drives in the =
pool
>> and it wouldn't function at all, but if that's not the case I can =
give
>> it a try...
>=20
> I wouldn't recommend that. What about attaching it externally, via =
eSATA
> or USB?

Unfortunately, my machine doesn't support eSATA and I don't have a USB =
to SATA adapter.  I can pick one up if it'll help me solve this, though, =
but one related issue: will the device be identified as the device that =
used to be on ad6 (or ad6s1) once it's attached via another means, like =
a USB adapter?  I suspect it will (or that I can issue a command to tell =
the zpool about it, anyway) but I thought I'd double check...

Todd=