Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2012 16:56:46 -1000
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Subject:   Re: Need a reality check: "portmaster --list-origins" misses entries?

On 9/14/2012 2:58 PM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
> On 9/14/2012 5:38 PM, David Wolfskill wrote:
>> I am tentatively planning on rebuilding the installed ports on my
>> laptop under stable/9 (vs. their current stable/8) on Sunday, to
>> take advantage of several hours of travel time expected.
>>
>> In preparation for this, I was reviewing the steps listed at the
>> end of portmaster(8) "Using portmaster to do a complete
>> reinstallation of all your ports" (which I have used to good effect
>> in the past -- e.g., in the migration from 7-STABLE to 8-STABLE).
>>
>> As a reality check, I created the output of "portmaster
>> --list-origins", with the intent to re-order the entries (and
>> remove several that were brought in merely as dependencies -- and
>> that I'd happily do without, were it feasible).
>>
>> I was thus surprised to fail to find "subversion" listed; a
>> further reality check showed that the output was (only) 181 lines
>> long; compare:
>>
>> d134(9.1-P)[8] portmaster --list-origins | wc -l 181

Read the description of the --list-origins feature in the man page. :)

> Assuming you ...
> install every port listed in '--list-origins', you should end up with
> the same 796 ports installed as those 181 will install all of the
> other ports.

Maybe, but probably not, especially on a major version upgrade. That's
why --list-origins does what it does, rather than just 'pkg_info -qoa'

David, if you are particularly concerned about having subversion
installed at an earlier point, you can include it in the list manually.
That won't hurt anything, portmaster will make sure that it gets
installed before anything that needs it.

Doug