Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:40:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      james <jamesp@hisser.org>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LVM / Vinum

Hi Greg

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> > I'm very used to using LVM on Linux, AIX, HP/UX etc, and I want to be able
> > to similar stuff on fbsd. I've had a play with Vinum, and I'm just
> > wondering if there are any other alternatives?
>
> There's also RAIDFrame.

I'll look into that, but will stick to Vinum for now. I actually work for
Veritas so it's a shame VM isn't on freebsd :)

> > I like the LVM way of having a pool of physical volumes, and having
> > the LVM subsystem take care of physical placement of logical
> > volumes. In Vimun, it seems to me that you have to explicitly state
> > what disks you would like to use for a volume.
>
> Yes, correct.  I don't think of this as a problem.

True, just means I'll have to actually plan things which can only be a
good thing.

> > Also, is it possible to extend / shrink volumes once they have been
> > created?
>
> Yes.  Add or remove subdisks to/from a plex.

Is this also true for striped volumes? It seems this is not possible from
the documentation I've found on the web, but I know that documentation can
be out of date.

Cheers

James