Date:      Mon, 9 Jan 2006 21:53:48 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "David Banning" <davidernest@gmail.com>, "Robert Slade" <bsd@bathnetworks.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Spamcop listed - need help to diagnose why

David, that is the fundamental problem with this kind of service.
The vast, vast majority of users that do e-mail confirmations do NOT
use them appropriately.  If everyone that used it was like you and put
some brains into turning it off when posting to a public list or
some such, it wouldn't be a problem.

But the fact that spam exists at all - because for spam to work you
need a critical mass of stupid people willing to pay spammers for their
hair tonics or whatever they are selling - should prove conclusively
that there's too many stupid people out there on the e-mail network
for a system like mail confirmations to be of any wide value.

Ted