Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:39:05 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: erorrs from spec_getpages

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Dan Langille wrote:

[snip]

DL> > Well I was in impression you've swapped out the disk, not cable, hence my
DL> > assumption. Sure it may be wrong cable; however, I suppose at least some ATA
DL> > errors should be logged somewhere before spec_getpages...
DL>
DL> They may have been, but they were not in /var/log/messages.  If they
DL> were on the console, they were scrolled off the top.  I couldn't
DL> scroll up because the keyboard hadn't been attached at boot, and I
DL> had not modified the kernel to allow for that situation.

That's why I always try to set up logged serial console for any machine with
more than marginal importance. BTW, comms/conserver-com port is of great use
for this purpose!

I assumed here that usually you have more than one machine per physical
location; otherwise, I'd set up remote logging, preferrably to two different
machines via two different interfaces, but such ideal network design is
*rarely* reqchable ;-)

Sincerely,
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck@rinet.ru ***