Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 1995 13:36:20 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        owensc@enc.edu (Charles Owens)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Fiskars UPS support...

Charles Owens stands accused of saying:

> Mark Smith said:

How'd you get "mark"? 8)

> I will be implementing some sort of multi-system UPS (several FreeBSD
> boxes, an RS/6000, and a Vax) and so I'm very interested in this.
>
> I've given this some thought and it seems to me that going down to single
> user is the best bet.  If we use this scheme, then there doesn't have to
> be any special modifications make to the kernal and it will be much
> easier to support a variety of UPS's.

Hmm, Newt's scheme for a modified init appeals, but it's a fairly deep
change to make.  If people like it, we can go that way.

> I know this isn't your priority, but it would be nice if this could be
> devoloped in some sort of modular fashion, separating the control logic
> from the UPS-specific interface code.

Actually, remaining as independant of the UPS modem as possible is a very
high priority, as we're likely to have to support several different models
in the near future.

> I'm sure others would be interested in seeing such a project fly.

Indeed.  I'm not sure that this is an appropriate topic for -hackers, so
if people want to register their interest with me, I'll set up an alias
here for us.

> Let me know if I can help...

Tell me what model of UPS you're planning on using, and let me know when
you have the programming docco for it, and I'll make sure that the overall
model means you can write a simple dropin module for it, and keep you up
to date on the work as it progresses.

>   Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[