Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 07:46:20 -0800
From:      "Tim Oneil" <toneil@visigenic.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: Re: No BSD Communicator 4.0?

At 08:39 AM 2/26/97 -0500, Larry Marso wrote:
>The user interface is, unfortunately, moving toward M$ IE.  It's much much
>worse.  I don't know what Netscape is thinking!  Almost every aspect of the
>look and the layout is worse than before (no joke).  And it's definitely not
>designed with unix in mind.  For example, a great feature for X in
Netscape 3.0
>is the Alt-L, which opens a *clear* field into which you can input a URL
(great
>for when you are pasting highlighted text from another window).  In 4.0,
Alt-L
>opens the field with the current URL highlighted (superceding whatever you
>highlighted elsewhere).

This is a drag. The Microsoft desktop of the future is going to be IE (Bill
Gates, last fall in some news conference). To further that end, just as a
side note, Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0, now known as MS Dev Studio, will use IE
as a front end. Its on their web site.
SO- what I guess I'm saying is Netscape is following along and trying to
blend in. Its really an intelligent move on their part as a profit company,
its either lead, as they did, follow, as they are doing now, or die.
My point in all this is that obviously some parts of the port didn't translate
well to some flavors of bsd unix, probably. Which is a testament to
Microsoft's
bold ignorance or blatant disregard for long held and cherished unix standards
that have really made open computing a reality. The IE browser (replace
'browser' with 'desktop' soon) veers away from that open standard, pulling
Netscape and all the 3rd parties with it. Thus proven standards are breached,
and we have the destruction of the SysV and BSD architectures.
I hope this cheery thought brightens your day.