Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:07:52 +0400
From:      "Oleg Semyonov" <os@ktpk.dp.ua>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Can't dial from slattach+chat

I'm using slip and want to dial via chat or kermit script.

When I run slattach with redial-command, seems the last one
cannot send bytes to modem. If modem was already connected,
in log of redial-command I can see incoming bytes (and they
are right, so line speed etc. is ok). But nothing is going
_to_ the modem. When modem is in command mode, I can't get
an OK response as reply to AT send (or to 'output AT\13' in
kermit script).

As I understand, slattach calls external command with tty
line connected as controlling terminal. If so, I don't need
to set this for kermit and cannot do it for chat. When I'm
using 'set line /dev/cuaa0' in kermit script, it complains
on "output" statement as "Must set line first". When I set
line to different cuaan device (second modem which is free
and not used for slattach), kermit dials without problems.
And when I'm not using "set line" in script - no reply from
modem.

What is wrong? How can I beat the beast?

/OS