Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 1995 18:45:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com (freebsd-current)
Subject:   Re: Disappearing space in root fs.

Ollivier Robert writes:

> > >I see it too.  Are you saying that unlink(2) doesn't really work ?
> >
> > rename(2) doesn't really work:
> >
> > 	touch x y; mv x y
> >
> > leaves the previous inode of y unreferenced!
>
> Another sympthom is : do a make install in sbin/bin/lkm with not enough
> space on it to contain all the / executables and two kernels (that is my
> current situation, my root partition size is inherited from my 1.1.5.1
> setup and is only 12 MB).
>
> At some point it will say "No space left on device" and all the binaries
> that were not installed take space till the next fsck :-(
>
> Easely reproductible here. That's the main reason I've never been able to
> complete any 2.* "make world" :-((( I don't have the DAT/Exabyte yet that
> would enable me to backup everything and reinstall so I must wait for
> some decent backup device or buy a new hard drive...

I have had this problem with a small news partition for months.

irbs 1# df /news
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0g       30159    28305     1854    94%    /news
irbs 2# umount /news
irbs 3# mount /news
irbs 4# df /news
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0g       30159    25964     4195    86%    /news

I suspect if you could unmount root the missing space would appear
again.

John