Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 98 9:10:50 PDT
From:      Keith Middlekauff <keithm@hprrc726.rose.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ftp and chroot

Hello,

I am working with an ISP who is testing the viability of using FreeBSD
as their primary platform.

We currently use HP-UX based servers and workstations. We run wu-ftpd
and modify the users home directory in /etc/passwd to force the ftpd to
chroot the login.

We have compiled wu-ftpd with no problem on the FreeBSD OS and can
implement this in the same way we do now.

The question is in regards to the ftpd that ships with FreeBSD. In
reading the man page for it I can see that it also will perform a chroot
if the user or @group is included in the /etc/ftpchroot file.

What are the ISP's using for this functionality? Are you using the
wuftpd or the standard ftpd in FreeBSD?

How long has this functionality been there in the ftpd that comes with
FreeBSD?

Thanks,

Keith