Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 18:14:13 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Curtis Grote <bmhpath@apci.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cant find /kernal on initial install

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Curtis Grote wrote:

> We downloaded Boot.flp and Fdimage.exe (rel 2.2) from FreeBSD.org on the
> internet, hoping to try the FreeBSD OS.  We created the installation
> bootdisk from the image file according to the instructions and our
> floppy  boots successfully.  We perform the installation procedure, but
> our subsequent boot from the hard drive produces message 'Can't find
> /kernel'.  Entering a '?' shows

What did you install from?

> a file list of  '. .. dev usr var stand etc proc dist tmp'.  We received
> no apparent errors during the
> install procedure other than certain games and bin etc. could not be
> loaded because it was not on
> the install floppy, which I assume is OK.  We have  tried to disable all

It's not. Nothing should be on the install floppy. All distributions have
to be loaded by some other media (you may use floppies, but they'll be
different floppies, not the install floppy). bin should be completly
installed with no erros at all. The kernel is part of bin, and if the bin
distribution was not installed, you'll be left without a kernel.

> devices and device drivers with conflicts; we have tried to partition
> dedicating the entire disk to FreeBSD; we have tried to
> partition with DOS and FreeBSD, all with the same results.  I do not
> think the /kernel is being
> loaded to the hard drive, though I do not understand why.  We are only
> classroom  familiar with
> UNIX and were intending to use FreeBSD as a way of learning more without
> putting our production systems at risk.  Thank you very much for your
> help.
>
> Configuration:  Pentium 75mhz,   500 mg IDE hd,   32 mg RAM,   SVGA
> controller
>
> Curtis Grote            bmhpath@apci.net
> Memorial Hospital
> Belleville, Illinois