Date:      02 Jan 2004 19:57:05 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can't shutdown, logout, or restart cleanly

Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> writes:

> I am running 5.2-CURRENT on my PII-400 desktop.  I have done 3
> installs of FreeBSD each time cvsupping to 5.2 current (using ISOs for
> 5.1 and 5.2) to do the initial install.
>
> EVERY time I get the following problem.  When I try to logout, reboot,
> or shutdown the machine from X, the machine locks up (no mouse or
> keyboard response) and I have to do a cold reboot.  I am presented
> with the black text screen seen during bootup right before it launches
> X (sorry, don't know what to call it) with my
>
> login:
>
> prompt (again, no response from keyboard or mouse input...it's like X
> shuts down entirely and then the machine locks trying to go to the
> next step).  This happens whether I use xdm, kdm, or gdm.  I have seen
> other posts with some similar symptoms refer to ACPI and disabling
> this (I can't find the entry in my BIOS to turn this off).  It's an
> old Asus P2B motherboard.  I'm not even sure it's the problem, but I'm
> willing to look at anything!

5.1 has an errata entry describing how to disable the ACPI code in
that release:  there's a new and supposedly easy way of doing this in
5.2, but I haven't seen it yet (I'm still on 4.x myself).

> I really want to use FreeBSD, but having to do constant cold restarts
> when I shutdown or try to switch users is going to get old fast (not
> to mention the eventual damage to my files...even though I've got soft
> updates enabled;) )
>
> I will provide any additional input I can, I realize it's not much to
> go on now, but hopefully those more knowledgeable than me can guide me
> to some things to look at to figure out why this is happening.

Does this happen with the release versions?
Does it happen if you don't enable X at all?  [In other words, is this
  an OS problem or an X11 problem...]
How did you install X, and what does your X configuration look like?

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
		resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/