Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 13:37:56 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Subject:   Unixware

Seven switch to the Unixware standard
-------------------------------------

	The dream of a single flavour of Unix came a step closer last
week, as the seven firms that resell the operating system on Intel
platforms agreed to ditch their own versions and standardise on
Unixware.

	SCO, owner of the SVR4 version of Unix, has finally persuaded
the SVR4-on-Intel resellers, such as NCR and Unisys, to adpot
Unixware, the binary, shrink-wrapped, SVR4 developed during Novell's
ownership of Unix.

	But the deal still leaves the major non-SVR4, non-Intel Unix
vendors - Hewlett-Packard, IBM and Sun - ploughing their own furrow.

	Many of the seven SVR4 resellers - Compaq, Data General, ICL,
NCR, Olivetti, Siemens-Nixdorf and Unisys - already run Unixware on
their low-end Unix machines. During the next year all of them will
migrate to running Unixware on all their machines, including symmetric
multiprocessors and clusters.

	"Swapping to binary-code Unixware instead of their own
source-code versions of SVR4 will make it easier for them to take up
the 64bit version when it arrives in 1998" said Mike Shelton, SCO's
vice-president for enterprise solutions. "But it also makes it cheaper
and easier for the software vendors to have only a single, Unixware
version to port to. It can cost about $1m for every Unix port."

	Consolidating on Unixware will also mean future enhancements,
such as support for clustering and large files and memory, will be
available to all SVR4 resellers simultaneously.

	"This is a long overdue move towards single Unix," said Mike
Martin, general manager of technology at ICL,which has been using
Unixware on all it's Unix boxes for a year. "The operating system will
cease to be a unique selling poing, instead we'll compete on things
like high-availability technology or the quality of our service."

(taken from the Computer Weekly in the UK. Article by Julia
 Vowler. Spelling errors and typos by me)