Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:37:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        lukas@design.de (Lukas Wunner)
Cc:        lukas@design.de, mountin.man@mixcom.com, lem@cantv.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [fbsd-isp] Designing for a very large ISP

> Hi,
>
> > I had the same problem with the III's... The IV's can handle it correctly.
> > The problem with the 3's was having a higher chip count per simm than tyan
> > allowed. (if you read between the lines on their specs)... You *can* get
> > 256MB to work on a III if you use simms with very few chips per somm.
>
> Interesting. What do you mean by "IV's can handle it correctly"? Do you
> mean more than 256MB? If so, can you elaborate exactly which type of SIMM
> you put into which slot? That would be really helpful. Thanks!

I had 512MB in our shell machine for a while, and it was quite happy.

> In our news box, I use four standard 64MB PS/2 SIMMS w/o parity or ECC
> and 36 chips per SIMM. Surprisingly, it works extremely stable. However,
> when you insert more SIMMs, it will still only count up to 256MB on
> bootup. It does not matter how many SIMMs you put in and of what type
> they are (64MB, 16MB, 8MB,... tested them all), nor does it make a
> difference if you permutate the sequence of the SIMMs in the available slots.
> Interestingly enough, the board will count up to 262xxxKB on bootup, where
> xxx is a three-digit number which changes on *every* bootup. And as I said,
> if the machine is cold, it will occasionally count up to 288MB.

Try going into CMOS setup, under 'Advanced settings' I think, and change
'Cacheable range' from whatever it's at now to 2G, and see if it helps.

Their BIOS is rather broken in trying to cache regions outside of available
tag.

> We tried this with the Tomcat IV as well to no avail. So if someone has
> managed to get more than 256MB working in the IV, please let me know.
> (of course, the documentation and webpage for the Tomcat IV still states
> that 512MB are supported *sigh*).
>
> 	Lukas.

I've only got 256MB in my IV now, but I did get it to work with 512MB.

Kevin